Sunday, December 18, 2005

Reading at the Library




I read to folks at the Bay County Public Library this afternoon, and members of the Friends of the Library were kind enough to supply cookies and punch and candy. We talked about small towns, and teenagers who dream of leaving them. We talked about changing times. I discussed Zen and the art of writing -- going where the story leads you, being brave enough (or dumb enough) to let go and listen to the small voice nagging in the back of your head. That's how I learned that Wally was a man who knew his Bible -- A Clean Sweep was written before Love and Loss at the Sign of the Pig -- and my difficulty in writing it came from trying to ignore the Bible verse that kept presenting itself. When I gave in, typed "there were giants in the earth in those days" at the top of the page, I suddenly had a handle on who Wally was ... and why he was such a damaged person; that is, he knew better than to act the way he did, and maybe he could figure out how to be better than that.

Follow your instincts. Trust your gut.

And if I don't talk to between now and then, have a safe and happy Christmas and New Year.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home