Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Letter from Bette today...

6/29/2004 7:44:10 AM
Tony:
I've been itchin' to tell you how thoroughly I enjoyed your novel. I thought I needed to wait for the fellas, but just must tell you that I love it. I'll drop it by the News Herald today so that you can amend the very few typos that caught my eye. Congratulations on a beautiful job.
Best and warmest as ever -
Bette

And my reply...
Bette,
And Michael said you were tough! I think you're a peach.
Seriously, though, I talked to Michael yesterday and he told me you had finished the book and had liked it. I told him I was getting worried.
So far, reactions have been positive, and I've begun second-guessing everything in it. I go from being really pleased with portions of it to being embarrassed or depressed over it. I read other books and think, "Mine hasn't got descriptions like that," or "Mine doesn't have characters like that," or "Mine doesn't have depth like that." I suppose that's the writer's eternal curse.
And yeah, I've reread it since I sent to Michael, caught a couple of eyes that changed color, and a couple of other problems. I also have considered moving "Midnight on Mars" to the Friday segment, right after "Centennial Man," instead of having it as a postscript. What do you think?
Look forward to seeing you.
Thanks so much for your support. It really is something I appreciate.
Peace.
Tony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home