Tuesday, June 29, 2004

And another note from Bette...

Hmmmm. Interesting thought about moving that segment. I don't know. Now I'm thinkin' I need to keep the manuscript a bit longer
and get a feel for that change. Off the top of my head, I'd have to say I prefer it where it is. The word "gonzo" keeps slipping through my mind - and I liked that sort of falling-off-the-planet mood where it is. Maybe I'll do this: Make a list of what I spied and send that to you - and keep the manuscript for a bit longer.

Yes, I'm positive you're correct about the writer's eternal curse - but please don't go second-guessing yourself. You and I both know it's counter-productive. Truthfully, my only real problem with the novel is the prologue. I didn't find it inviting - but rather a bit off-putting. The sequence thereafter moved well for me. The prologue worked much better for me after I'd read the manuscript. That may well be just me, though.

And stop with the comparison foolishness. This is your voice - the
unique and totally yours Tony Simmons voice - and it's splendid.
I'll paste in below a bit what I wrote to the fellas.

(I thoroughly enjoyed it - and smiled my way through most of it. I found it artfully creative, insightful, well-informed, carefully crafted, beautiful characterization and attention to detail, poignant at times - and very, very funny at others. It's highly imaginative, tender, clever - and almost slides toward the gonzo from time to time - thoroughly delighting me.)

I'll work on that list tonight - and speed it your way.
You're the peach!
Bette

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home