Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Notes on names

From a letter to Michael this morning:

"... I have finished editing the final draft, as of 12:04 a.m. this morning. I look forward to hearing your critique. Having reread it in just a couple of nights, I can guarantee it's a varied experience. Does it work? I'm probably too close to it to answer that, but it works for me."

Tonight I will continue with the book, as I have a few names to change. I have written the story using the last names of my old school friends from Century as the main characters' names. It seemed a harmless in-joke until I began wondering how they would feel. Would they think I was trying to say these people were based upon them? Would they think I was trying to make them look bad somehow? Would someone whose name I didn't use think I didn't like them as well as the other guys?

So here's the thing: I'm using altered versions of names that belonged to my student interns over the last 10 years or so. I'll supply a list in upcoming posts, for those who know the kids.

More to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home